Boiled Rice - 1 1/2 cup (200 ml)
Raw rice - 1 cup
Toor dal - 3/4 cup
Urad dal - 2 tablespoon
Red chilli - 10
Salt - as needed
Mustard seeds, urad dal, oil, hing / asafoetida, curry leaves
- Soak rice and dal for almost 3 hours and grind ; the consistency should be that of dosa batter.
- Season mustard seeds, urad dal; add one pinch of asafoetida and salt and mix with the batter.
- Add more water and loosen the consistency of the batter. (like that of wheat dosa)
- After the dosa tawah gets heated considerably, (just like wheat dosa) pour the batter from the edges towards the centre of the tawah.
- When the upper surface gets reddened, turn to the other side.
If you need crispy dosa, loosen the consistency of the batter.
If you need it thick like adai, thiocken the batter's consistency.
If you prefer, 2 tablespoon scraped coconut can be added.
Dosa can be made immediately after grinding; fermentation is not needed.
Learnt from: Mrs. Padama, my mother