Buttermilk - 2 cups
scraped coconut - 1/4 cup
toor dal - 2 tablespoon
Raw rice - 1 tablespoon
Corriander seeds - 2 tablespoon
Ginger - a small cube
green hcilli - 10
red chilli - 3
asafoetida - 1 pinch
Paruppu vada - 7
turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Oil - 2 teaspoon
Salt - as needed
Mustard seeds, Urad dal, fenugreek - for seasoning
Curry leaves - for seasoning
corriander leaves - to garnish
- Soak toordal, raw rice, corriander seeds for almost half an hour.
- Add the soaked items, coconut, ginger, green chilli and grind to a nice paste.
- Add oil to the frying pan, when it is hot season with mustard seeds, urad dal, fenugreek, redchilli, curry leaves, asafoetida.
- Add the paste to the pan..add turmeric powder, salt and little water and allow it to boil until the raw smell goes off.
- Add buttermilk and allow it to boil in medium flame.
- Take care while boiling the buttermilk...it has to boil well..at the same time it shouldn't turn curdish..
- When this gravy gets little tightened add the paruppu vadas.
- Switch off the stove after 2 to 3 minutes.
- It will take almost 30 minutes for the vadas to get softer.
Note: The vadas should not be crispy..they should be somewhat thicker..
Learnt from: Mrs. Padma, mother